Peerless is an abandoned coal mining community located in Spring Canyon, about a mile west of Helper in Carbon County, Utah. Although it is the first ghost town that is encountered in Spring Canyon, it was one of the last to be developed. At some point in the early 20th century, a company known as the Crystal Coal Company purchased the land that would become Peerless and intended to develop a mine. No development work was done until 1916, when William and Charles Sweet purchased the property from the Crystal Coal Company. In 1917, the Sweets sold the land to the Peerless Coal Company which began developing a mine in a side canyon northwest of the town site. The company built a couple dozen homes and a company store in a relatively flat and wide area and named it Peerless. Peerless was a town known for its ethnic diversity; miners from Greece, Japan, England, and other countries called the little town home.
Peerless stood in contrast to the neighboring coal towns. Where towns such as Storrs and Standardville had several big producing mines and substantial populations, Peerless had a couple struggling mines and only about 300 residents. One of the main reasons for Peerless's struggle was due to the fact that a fire which had burned prior to the development of the mine had damaged much of the coal in the Peerless seam. Production from the Peerless mine became so sparse that another mine and town were opened several miles away in Price Canyon and were named New Peerless. This mine was even more unsuccessful than its predecessor, and closed down only a few months after opening.
Despite its struggles, Peerless managed to get by. The mine managed to putter along even after World War II, but the town was largely abandoned by this time as the miners preferred to live in nearby Helper and commuted to work by car every day. The mine was finally closed down in the 1960s. In the 1970s, the Utah Fuel Company moved in and did some assessment work on the entire canyon, including the Peerless mine. At this time, most of the buildings in town were demolished, leaving only a couple stone ruins to mark the location of the abandoned community. Though it was never a large town, Peerless played a very important role in the history of Spring Canyon and the county.